Sunday, July 15, 2012

Oh my, my, my.

What a ride the last few months have been. If it's not one thing, it's another. And we've come to appreciate even more all the help that we have available to us, and how many people who care about us. Where to begin....I suppose I'll get the unpleasantries out of the way....

I've had some fairly severe medical issues lately which have resulted in an emergency surgery, regular visits from a home health nurse, a hospital stay, iron infusions, more blood tests than I would like, a visit to an oncologist, and regular contact with the infectious diseases doctor. Oh, and let's not forget the open wound in my rear. Yes, that's right, I have TWO holes in my bum at the moment. It was discovered at the beginning of May that I had a peri-rectal abscess and was rushed into the OR to fix the problem. Come to find out that having an abscess too long can lead to blood poisoning, and thanks to some SERIOUS negligence on my surgeon's part, I'd had it for a least a week by that time. Then after the surgery, I didn't find out for FOUR DAYS that I didn't have stitches, but I had an open wound that was packed with gauze (again, thanks to some SERIOUS negligence on the surgeon's part). The kicker came when I was told the gauze needed to be changed three times a week, and the reason I didn't have stitches was because the wound had to heal from the inside out. Ya. No one told me that before I was man handled into the hospital prior to surgery. Long story short, after not healing AT ALL for a whole month, it took an infection, a trip to the ER, a hospital stay, and some unnerving blood test results for the surgeon to finally pull his head out of his ass enough to realize something was wrong. It's been nearly 10 weeks since the surgery, and I still have an open wound. I still see a home nurse two times a week, go into wound care at the hospital every 2 weeks, and am required to see the incompetent surgeon who put me in this position every 2 weeks. The upside is that I can actually see some improvement. Now instead of a 5 cm deep hole, it's only 1 cm, and slowly getting shallower. I'm finally able to drive myself, and have started working too. Working has been really good for me mentally, but it can still be a strain physically. But you do what you have to do, right??

Now on to the funner, more interesting stuff!! Namely, Wyatt. :) He's more and more fun every day! We're still trying to get him to walk on his own, but he is such a stubborn bugger!! He knows now what we're doing when we try to get him to walk, and he just sits down. Sometimes he's far too smart for his own good. But he loves dancing! He'll pull himself up onto something, and just bounce and throw his arms to the beat of whatever music may be playing. He especially likes "Wipe Out" and The Beach Boys. And Sesame Street. We can't forget Sesame Street. I try very hard not to let him watch TV very often, but there are times where I need him to sit still for a short while, and that is pretty much the only way he'll sit still....ever! But I figure that if I'm going to let him watch anything, it may as well be Sesame Street :)
This year was the first time we took him to the Fourth of July parade that traverses just down the street from our house, and he loved it! The best part of the whole parade was when the street sweeper came by, and I looked behind me to see Wyatt sitting on Anthony's shoulders with both arms in a 'goal' gesture above his head with a huge grin on his little face. I so wish I could have gotten a picture of it!! We spent our time after the parade cooling down in the sprinklers, then took a trip to the festivities lined along the river. Since Wyatt is still going to bed around 5 or 6, there were no fireworks for him this year. Maybe next year.



Go Cheerleaders! Go!


Cooling off in the sprinklers



Checking out the river for the first time

My first attempt at ribs...yum!

Daily our routine is pretty dull. We do try to have play dates on a regular basis so that Wyatt gets interaction with other babies. We don't really have family or friends with children, so it's very important to me that Wyatt socializes with other children. And he loves these play dates!! I started a group on Facebook to meet other moms, and I've met so many people!! Some are even old high school friends I've reaquainted with. I hope to keep doing these groups for a long time for both our sakes!!


Play date with Sage!





Cuddling with blankey and Lucie



Chicken nugget fiend!

Laughing it up at Scoop Jam

No comments: